We've been lucky enough to work with Todd quite a bit recently–Brad designed his latest book, "American Surreal," which was just released in conjunction with Mr. Schorr's (by all reports amazing) mid-career retrospective at the San Jose Museum of Art. Brad managed to make it out for the opening over the weekend and took a few snapshots to prove it:
At the same time that we were designing the book we were simultaneously putting the pieces together for this project. With a gorgeous, strange and wonderful image from Todd as a starting point, we began figuring out the particulars.
We printed the edition using an intaglio process, in a color somewhere in the hazy area between green and grey and sepia. Each print was hand-stained in both ink and gouache, for a richer set of hues and that organic, aged-to-perfection look.
The image–a weird and wonderful piece of something like traditional portraiture from another dimension–was an obvious choice to be housed in one of our hand-cast, hand-antiqued, curved-glass, metal backed resin frames. We love these things. The process is pretty gooey (and stinky, and time-consuming):
but the results couldn't be classier. This particular frame-image combo seemed especially apt, somehow, and the curved glass makes it feel precious and jewel-like.
Put on a laser-cut, powder coated back that makes the print equally at home hung on a wall or free standing on a flat surface–
–and it's finished.
All in all we couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. We finished up just in time for Brad to hand-deliver the first artist proof to Todd at his museum show and now we're opening it up to all of you.
Todd Schorr: Wish Fulfillment from Another World
- Edition: 100 + 10 Artist's Proofs, 10 Printer's Proofs, and 1 Bon á tirer
- Print Size: 3.75" x 5.25"
- Frame Size: 9.5" x 6.375"
- Printed intaglio on Rives Heavyweight printmaking paper with Charbonell inks
- Hand stained in ink and gouache
- Signed and numbered by the artist
- Framed in a cast-resin, hand-antiqued frame with custom laser cut steel backing plate
- Mounted under curved glass
- Comes with a custom-designed, perforated, signed and numbered Certificate of Authenticity